Reports To: Director of Technology
Send cover letter, resume, and salary requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org with Your Last Name Engineer in the subject line.
Cover letter MUST answer these three questions:
- Why do you want to be a part of PBS KVIE?
- What makes you the best-suited candidate for this position?
- What three values will you bring to our organization?
Supports the engineering team by maintaining all broadcast-related equipment and providing technical support by ensuring the quality of our transmission and production.
If you value public television, consider joining our PBS KVIE team whose mission is to inspire you to explore the world and connect with your community through the integrity of public media.
Ideal Team Player
PBS KVIE's Ideal Team Player:
- supports our mission to inspire viewers to explore the world and connect with our community through the integrity of public media.
- celebrates diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility.
- values a culture of team spirit and collaboration.
- strives to do more and be more.
- adaptable to the ever-changing broadcast technology.
- inquisitive and enjoys problem-solving.
- Maintains and repairs broadcast television, IT, transmitter, and microwave equipment.
- Assists in creating and maintaining preventative maintenance procedures.
- Participates in technical system specifications, design, installation, and training.
- Keeps abreast of current FCC rules, ATSC digital broadcasting specifications and PBS standards for technical quality.
- Regularly evaluates performance and adjusts equipment to operate with nominal specifications.
- Responds to the operational and technical needs of other departments.
- Supports the Director of Technology as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must be mission-driven and passionate about the role of public media.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Effective and proactive oral communication skills with the ability to consistently produce concise, professional written communication.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented with the ability to multi-task, prioritize, and manage time effectively.
- Ability to collaborate and work effectively with diverse stakeholders as a team.
- Positively and professionally represents PBS KVIE throughout the community.
- Experienced in troubleshooting, repairing, and maintaining television broadcast, transmission, and information technology equipment.
- Experience with Linux, and AutoCAD preferred.
- Understanding of digital and analog video and audio waveforms, standards, and specifications. Experience working with digital waveform monitors, as well as transport stream and file-based analyzers.
- Must be well-versed in digital audio and video standards, specifications, and measurements related to digital television signals.
- Must possess a firm grasp of MPEG, Dolby Digital (AC3) audio, and other video and audio encoding, compression schemes and techniques.
- Detailed knowledge of digital transport and transmission methods such as SDI, HD-SDI, AC3, AES, ASI, SMPTE-310, QPSK QAM 8/16 and 8VSB.
- Understanding of ATSC digital broadcasting PSI and PSIP metadata.
- Skilled in configuring and maintaining computers, IT device communications, automation systems, remote control, Ethernet LAN, fiber channel, SAN & NAS systems, as well as the routing/switching of TCP/IP.
- Experience with system control, event logging, and computer system management.
Education / Experience
- BA/BS degree in Electrical, Electronic or IT, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of five years of supporting broadcast television or production.
- Must be available on-call 24/7 during emergencies.
- Must have a valid California driver’s license and meet insurance standards.
- Available to work evenings and weekends as needed.
|Description||0 – 24%||25 – 49%||50 – 74%||75 – 100%|
|Vision: Must be able to read computer screen for long periods of time and scrutinize various reports.||X|
|Hearing: Must be able to hear well enough to communicate in person and by phone.||X|
|Lifting/Pushing/Pulling up to 30lbs.||X|
|Manual Dexterity: Must be able to write, type, and use phone system.||X|
|Note: The physical requirements listed may be performed with or without reasonable accommodation.|
Diversity in the Workplace
We are committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility. Our goal is to build and foster a culture where open-minded and varied perspectives are encouraged and celebrated. Diversity is an integral part of how we function as an organization.
We believe all voices should be heard and represented through a lens of authenticity. We represent and serve Northern California's communities by producing content and programming that inspires and connects.
We value our team. We recognize our strong and cohesive collective helps us to grow as a public media and community leader. Creating an environment where employees feel safe and supported is vital to our success.
PBS KVIE EEO Policy: PBS KVIE is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with anti-discrimination law, this policy aims to effectuate these principles and mandates. PBS KVIE prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. PBS KVIE conforms to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.
PBS KVIE Background Check Policy: PBS KVIE conducts criminal background checks for all new employees (including credit and DMV background checks when appropriate for the position).
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE: Due to the high volume of calls, we will not accept or respond to phone inquiries. Candidates will receive an electronic acknowledgment after receipt of resume and cover letter. Further, qualified candidates will be contacted for a phone screening.