Who We Are
We are public television for Northern California and the Central Valley. Learn more about KVIE’s history, management, volunteers, and members, plus access our public information.
We are member-driven.
Over 52,000 members, from Sacramento, Stockton, Modesto, the foothills, and everywhere in between, support us at every level. We know the power of people – member contributions make up 47 percent of our yearly budget. Our members make public television happen! Interested in supporting KVIE and exploring the benefits of membership for yourself? Click here.
We have great volunteers.
Over 300 volunteers donate over 10,000 hours each year to help make great public television happen! Learn more about volunteer opportunities for groups and individuals.
We have been in the community for over 50 years.
We serve nearly 1.4 million households in our 16-county TV market, the nation’s 20th largest. We serve viewers in an additional 12 counties, reaching 28 of California’s 58 counties. We’ve been on air since February 23, 1959. Look back through 50 years of KVIE history here!) We launched our high-definition and digital service in June 2003, and we’ve added three more channels: KVIE2 (6.2), KVIE World (6.3), and KVIE PBS Kids (6.4). Click here for channel designations.
We are a nonprofit.
KVIE is a 501(c)(3) organization and is also classified as a public charity under sections 509(a)(1) and 170(b)(1)(A)(vi) of the Internal Revenue Code. KVIE's Tax ID: 94-1421463
We have a mission.
The mission of KVIE is to educate, enrich, enlighten and inspire diverse audiences and individuals with high quality television programming and related services that enhance the quality of life for people throughout Northern California.
We seek out community input.
Our station management works with a volunteer board of directors and four community advisory boards. Learn more about our management and advisory boards here.
We are transparent.
We provide governance information to the public, as well as information required by the FCC.
- Learn when meetings are happening with our meeting schedule.
- View our FY16 Local Content and Service Report to the Community.
- View our FY16 Annual Financial Report to the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.
- View our Audited Financial Statements for FY16.
- Learn more about our closed captioning, or contact our closed captioning hotline.
- Access our FY15 990 Tax Return.
- Read KVIE PTV comments in the Broadband Spectrum Docket.
- View our EEO 2016 Public File.
- View our CPB Station Activities Benchmarking Study (SABS) Survey for FY15.
- View our CPB Station Activity Survey for FY15: